Friday, May 12, 2006

A bit of a late start today, so I'll have to type quickly. Hah! Not with my hunt and peck typing "skills." :)

Speaking of which, I should really learn to be a better typist, as it would help me with my writing. Anybody know where/how I would go about learning how to touch-type?

I went through my backpack from college the other day. Surprisingly, there wasn't much in it in terms of usable material. The extra notebook paper will certainly come in handy, though. I thought I'd kept all of my writing that I did during my undergrad, and now that I need it, I don't have it. Mom has agreed to go through my room this weekend and see what she can find. I hope at least the work from my writing class turns up; I did some really good work that semester. But any of my work from that renaissance French literature class I took would be fine, too. :) I'll also be writing a lot of new material. I went through some old journals yesterday, and it's been two years to the day since I wrote in the newest one. That's fixed. :) If nothing else, they should yield some good material for essays.

I mentioned last week that I'm learning Persian, a co-worker is teaching me. I thought it may be helpful to have a book to go through on my own, as one phrase a day takes forever. I ordered a set online, complete with cassettes and cd-rom's. I'm planning on going through that a bit tonight.

Also, there are a couple of workshops down in Venice next week that I want to go to, so I'm going to try to make those. I just wish they were closer; Venice is 20 miles from my house, which translates to two hours in L.A. traffic. :P The workshops start at 8pm though, so maybe that's late enough that it'll only take me an hour. Those of you who've never been here to La La Land think I'm kidding. Unfortunately, I'm not. Ask my mom, she'll tell you. :) As my public service announcement for the day, if any of you decide to head out this way, get a good street map, like a Thomas' Guide, and get comfortable with surface streets. The freeways out here are uselsss because there's so much traffic; surface streets will get you almost anywhere more quickly.

I read an outstanding essay yesterday about a woman's trip to Italy; I'll find it and post a link when I get home from work. It made me wish I'd taken notes during my trip to Holland a few years ago. I guess I'll just have to try to go back sometime in the near future. But this time, I'm going when it's warm, not 15 degrees outside. :)

Thank you so much to all of you who have offered to write letters of recommendation and reference for my graduate school application; I appreciate it more than I can say. Just be prepared for those updated writing samples in your inbox in a few weeks. I've some time before the application is due, and I plan on taking full advantage of it.

Well, that's it for this early a.m. blog session, now I must get ready for work.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Try this:

http://www.learn2type.com/

I learned to type in high school, so I can't really asses if this site works or not, but it's worth looking at. :-)

4:04 AM  
Blogger Akashabreeze said...

ok, I just took the test.

37 wpm.

I suuuuuuuck.

Oh, shut up. ;)

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home